[CotI] Introducing (or Re-Introducing) Chuck Gannon

coti citizensoftheimperium at lists.travellerrpg.com
Sun Mar 24 23:20:02 EDT 2013

I want to introduce to you (for some, to re-introduce to you) Chuck Gannon.
Once upon a time, he and I worked closely together on MegaTraveller and he
authored Diaspora, Vigilante, and Hard Times, among others. I am always
gratified when I find an early Traveller writer who has gone on to do
bigger and better things; I can’t take credit for his talent, but I
appreciate that Traveller was part of his early efforts.

Recently, he and I reconnected. After some 20 years, we basically took up
where we left off, and have now started collaborating on the Galaxiad epic
story line for Traveller5. He has some great ideas, and we both have great
expectations for this multi-part epic to come.

But for now, Chuck has begun a new science-fiction series/universe that I
am enjoying reading. His first book comes out April 2 (apparently no one
takes you seriously if the book comes out April 1).

There’s a description below that should grab you; if it does at all, I
invite you to pre-order the book. Because of the arcane rules governing how
book sales are counted, a pre-order goes a long way to helping the book be
successful, which makes your pre-order doubly appreciated.

Thanks,

Marc

http://www.amazon.com/Fire-Charles-E-Gannon/dp/1451638833

****

New Science Fiction Thriller Series! An agent for a spy organization
uncovers an alien alliance in nearby interstellar space—an alliance that
will soon involve humanity in politics and war on a galactic scale.

2105, September: Intelligence Analyst Caine Riordan uncovers a conspiracy
on Earth’s Moon—a history-changing clandestine project—and ends up
involuntarily cryocelled for his troubles. Twelve years later, Riordan
awakens to a changed world. Humanity has achieved faster-than-light travel
and is pioneering nearby star systems. And now, Riordan is compelled to
become an inadvertent agent of conspiracy himself. Riordan’s mission:
travel to a newly settled world and investigate whether a primitive local
species was once sentient—enough so to have built a lost civilization.

 However, arriving on site in the Delta Pavonis system, Caine discovers
that the job he’s been given is anything but secret or safe. With assassins
and saboteurs dogging his every step, it's clear that someone doesn't want
his mission to succeed. In the end, it takes the broad-based insights of an
intelligence analyst and a matching instinct for intrigue to ferret out the
truth: that humanity is neither alone in the cosmos nor safe. Earth is
revealed to be the lynchpin planet in an impending struggle for
interstellar dominance, a struggle into which it is being irresistibly
dragged. Discovering new dangers at every turn, Riordan must now convince
the powers-that-be that the only way for humanity to survive as a free
species is to face the perils directly—and to fight fire with fire.

--
Marc Miller
FFE / Heartland Publishing